Designed by architect Albert A. Bennett, as was the Queen Anne Cottage, the Baldwin Coach Barn is an equally ornate example of Victorian extravagance. Alternating slats of interior cedar and redwood paneling and original iron grillwork, cast by Savage and Son of San Francisco in 1879, contribute to the feeling of opulence. Lucky Baldwin housed his private carriages plus those of his guests in this Barn (a report of 1891 indicated 14 different vehicles in residence). Generous stall space was provided for carriage horses, and convenient hay and grain chutes were fed directly from the loft above. Coachman’s quarters, originally provided in the upper tower room above the hay loft, have been re-created in the downstairs tack room.
In the large west room of the Barn note the exposure of a red and white exterior wall, evidence that sometime before the turn of the century, Baldwin enlarged the Coach Barn from its original “t”-shaped construction. Baldwin’s stylish “Tally Ho” carriage, purchased at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876, is today on display in the enlarged west room. A wash rack nearby (beneath the wooden farm wagon) was used for washing down the carriages after a dusty drive; pipes below once recycled used water for irrigation purposes.
Farm and blacksmith tools on view in the south stall area are representative of those used in the late 1800′s when the Coach Barn was one of many buildings which formed the headquarters of E.J. Baldwin’s 46,000 acre ranch. The Victorian dog house just outside the Coach Barn once sheltered bull mastiffs, Lucky Baldwin’s ranch guard dogs. The Coach Barn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Arcadia Historical Museum Early Arcadia memorabilia; photographs, oral histories, newspapers etc.