January 1, 2010
Early Fruit & Vegetable Seed Catalogs of Southern California: Aggeler & Musser Seed Company
E. A. Aggeler & Henry L. Musser opened their seed company in 1896 at 620 South Spring Street, Los Angeles. They also later opened a Market Branch store at 767 South Central Avenue. Both stores are featured on this page from their 1920 catalog.
A 1921 profile of Musser and his company extols the many contributions that they made to southern California: “Through the long continued experiments carried on by this organization have been introduced some vegetables of national reputation, including the California Pearl Cauliflower, the Los Angeles Market Lettuce, the Casaba Melons, the White Rose Potatoes, the Anaheim Chili and Pimiento Peppers and many varieties of vegetation of local prominence, all of which have meant millions of dollars to Los Angeles and California” (McGroarty, 633).
Aggeler & Musser sought to set themselves apart as honest, reliable seedsmen who knew their business well and who were happy to educate their customers.
Like many nurseries at the time, in addition to offering seeds, they also offered gardening tools, poultry supplies, and remedies for animals.
View more photos on our Flickr page:
| Seed Catalogs – Home | 1888-1909 | 1910-1919 | 1920-1929 | 1930-1939 | 1940-1945 | Avocados | Wartime | Aggeler & Musser | Germain’s | Bibliography |
Copyright: The Los Angeles County Arboretum makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Arboretum. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use.