The Arboretum Library contains a comprehensive collection of resources on gardening, botany, California native plant life, environmental issues, and some agriculture as these subjects relate to the plants native to and planted in Southern California. This includes books, e-books, magazines, government documents, pamphlets, and audio-visual materials.
Arboretum Library Hours
The normal hours are Tuesday-Friday 8:30-5:30 and Saturday 8:30 to 5:00
The Botanical Information Consultant is currently unavailable.
Here are the public health safety guidelines you can expect when you plan your visit to the Arboretum Library:
- Patrons two years and older are required to wear a face covering over their nose and mouth at all times.
- Patrons are required to maintain a distance of at least six (6) feet from other library patrons (not in the patron’s group) and library staff at all times.
- Avoid entering the library if you are experiencing any COVID-19 related symptoms or feeling sick.
For anyone who is unable to meet the above requirements, library staff will make every attempt to assist patron’s needs online, via phone, etc.
Patrons are be able to:
- Browse the Library collections,
- Arboretum members may check out materials,
- Access Wi-Fi services and use the public computer,
- Use the Library as a study, recreational reading space, etc.,
- View the art exhibits, The Nature of Sculpture II (extended) and the Botanical Artists Guild of Southern California’s Plants for Dry Climates.
- Browse and purchase used book sale items. There are many plant-related books for sale in the Library that are not in the online bookstore.
Plant Information will continue with phone and email questions. Email Frank.McDonough@Arboretum.org.
During this time, we also encourage our Members to check out the large selection of e-books at the Library catalog and here for some featured e-books.. Be sure to put “LA” in front of your membership number when you encounter the paywall. Curbside/Library Book Drop pick-up is also still available when the Library is open.
All books currently checked out can be returned in the Library book drop in front on the Library doors when the Library is open or at the Membership Office when the Arboretum is open, but the Library is closed.
Not an Arboretum member? Join today!
You can search the ONLINE CATALOG for more items here.