Teachers & Schools
School Field Trips
Thank you for your interest in bringing your class to the Arboretum. We are currently accepting reservations for self-guided field trips only. We hope to resume our guided field trip programs in the fall, pending public health circumstances. We have a limited number of opportunities for 4th and 5th grade classes from Title 1 schools to participate in a guided pilot program- Please see details at the link below.
To reserve a field trip date, please submit your request via the form link below. A representative will get back to you within the week to confirm your reservation. All reservations must be made online. For questions about school visits, or to inquire about participating in the NGSS pilot program for Title 1 4th and 5th grade classes, please contact Brooke Applegate at 626-821-5897 or email@example.com.
A limited number of transportation grants are available for Title 1 schools.
Please see below to apply.
Self-guided visits of the Arboretum present a wonderful opportunity to enhance your classroom curriculum. With their chaperone as their guide, students can explore science, history, art, or simply spend a day discovering nature.
- Self-guided visits are available Monday through Friday for grades preK-College
- The Arboretum opens for school visits at 9:00 am. Schools cannot enter past 4:00pm
- Reservations are required.
- Students are admitted free of charge.
- The Arboretum requires a 1:10 ratio of adults to students. CHAPERONES CANNOT BE OTHER STUDENTS- THEY MUST BE STAFF MEMBERS OR GUARDIANS.
- Adult chaperones are admitted free of charge up to a ratio of 1 adult per 5 students. Tickets for any adult over this ratio are $15.00.
- For all other rules and regulations, please read our Arboretum Field Trip Guidelines.
- To help guide your school group, please download the Self-Guided Tour Information.
- For preK-2nd graders, download the Picture Scavenger Hunt.
- To purchase student Souvenir Packs from our gift shop, please see the “Visiting Our Gift Shop” section below.
- A limited amount of bus funding is available for Title 1 schools. Please see the “Transportation Grant” section below.
Transportation Grant Spring 2022
The Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden is happy to be able to award a limited number of grants to Title 1 schools to help pay for transportation to The Arboretum for a self-guided visit. (Guided Visits are not available at this time.) Teachers from Title 1 schools in the Los Angeles area are eligible to apply. Applicants are considered on a strict first come, first serve basis. To ensure our funding is used as wisely as possible, only applicants that fill buses at least 75% full will be considered. Typical school buses have 24 seats, and can comfortably fit 3 students to a seat, allowing for at least 60 students to fit along with chaperones. Excess chaperones may need to drive to the Arboretum separately in some cases. If selected, the Arboretum does not provide the bus, only the funding. Schools are required to book their own buses, and the Arboretum reimburses the cost. In order to qualify, teachers must agree to complete Pre and Post field trip activities with their students, as well as submit signed photo releases for all participants. To be considered, please submit the application below.
Arboretum in the Classroom
Want to experience the Arboretum virtually instead? Check out some of our educational videos below:
- Monarch Butterflies & Their Habitat: The Arboretum’s Butterfly Waystation
- Lucky Baldwin’s San Gabriel Valley: Arboretum & Arcadia History
- Crescent Farm: A Model of Sustainability
Can’t make it to the garden, but still want to explore nature-based learning?
- Click HERE to explore our library of At-Home Nature Adventures that can easily be conducted in any school setting.
Visiting Our Gift Shop
In order to extend the learning experience after you return to school, we offer a souvenir pack that can be purchased through our gift shop. If you are interested in souvenir packs or visiting the gift shop with your group, please review the rules below:
- The group leader must go into the gift shop before the students enter to inform the gift shop manager that they are entering.
- Only 10 students are allowed inside the gift shop at one time and they must be accompanied by at least 1 adult.
- Souvenir pack orders must be submitted at least two weeks in advance.
- One order must be submitted for each school for souvenir packs.
- Please contact the Gift Shop directly to place an order: Souvenir Pack Information