All commercial film, video or photo production require reservations. Commercial productions include but are not limited to any activity that results in a film, video, or photograph being sold; or any activity involving filming or photography for which crew and/or talent is paid. This includes non-profit and student productions.
- Magazine ads
- Motion pictures
- Clothing look books
Commercial photography requires outside permits that may take up to a week.
We welcome you to take informal candid vacation style photography for personal use without a fee. Photography outside the Arboretum on our front lawns is always free.
All guests to the Arboretum must follow our garden etiquette. In addition there are some specific rules while on the ground that must be followed. Please review our photo policies and rules.
Student filming projects are permitted however standard fees and restrictions apply. No discounts are available. For additional information call Nadia Balaz at 626-821-3204.
Commercial Filming and Photography and site rental are available with a reserved permit only. Please contact Nadia Balaz at 626-821-3204 for more information.
The Arboretum reserves the right to refuse admittance for photography/videography and/or change its photo policy without advanced notice.
Please note: Due to Moonlight Forest, there will be no filming from October 7 to November 7. From November 8 – January 12, filming is limited to Mondays and Tuesdays.
Non-commercial: Any type of posed, portrait photography whether or not the photographer is paid, requires a photography permit. This includes any type of camera including cell phone cameras. Engagement, maternity, wedding, family portraits and graduation photography are some examples of portrait photography that require a permit. Photo shoots with models will be considered a Commercial photography shoot.
There are two types of non-commercial photography permits:
1. Camera Ready Photo Shoot: Everyone is dressed and ready to take photos as soon as you enter the grounds.
- No clothing changes, makeup, or hair styling
- Walking only
- No reservations needed for groups of 1-14 people
- Permits are sold every day from 9am-3:30pm. Your entire party must be present by 3:30pm in order to purchase a permit. During Moonlight Forest, November 9 – January 12, photo permit sales will end at 2:30pm Wednesday – Sunday. Normal hours apply Monday and Tuesday.
- Garden hours are 9am – 5pm every day. During Moonlight Forest, November 9 – January 12, hours are 9am – 4:30pm Wednesday-Sunday. Normal hours apply Monday and Tuesday.
- No large props, ladders, chairs, musical instruments, sports equipment or balloons allowed.
- Camera equipment must be limited to one small wagon or backpack.
- Groups of 15 or more must make an appointment and may need a monitor (contact Candace.firstname.lastname@example.org).
- $50 + Admission (link to agreement)
- A $200 security deposit is required if more than 5 people are in your party, regardless of whether they will be in the photos. (Security deposit will be refunded after evaluation by staff members within a week after the photography session.)
- Permits are valid for one day and one session per photographer
- For multiple sessions on the same day, contact Candace Wanzo, Candace.email@example.com for discounts. Arrangements must be made in advance.
During Moonlight Forest Magical Lantern Art Festival: While there are lanterns on the grounds you may want to consider our classic garden settings that are not part of the Moonlight Forest activities:
- Celebration Garden
- Meyberg Waterfall
- Rose Garden
- Herb Garden
- Kallam Garden
- Tallac Knoll
2. Assisted Photo Shoot Allows for one golf cart driven by an Arboretum employee and/ or other transportation vehicle (with proper insurance) to drive visitors around the grounds with reservations.
- Hours: sunrise to sunset
- Reservations required (contact Candace.firstname.lastname@example.org) Limited space available, early reservations are strongly recommended.
- Includes location permit, admission, and no security deposit is required
- 1-10 people $300
- 11-20 people $400
- 21-30 people $500
- Please note we do not allow any models, clothing changes, makeup or hair to be done on the property. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
- The Arboretum reserves the right to all photography site locations at any given time with or without notice. Some sites may not be available the day of your reservation due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Please contact Candace Wanzo at 626.821.3244 or email@example.com more information.