All commercial film, video or photo production require reservations. Commercial Productions include but are not limited to any activity that results in a film, video, or photograph being sold; or any activity involving filming or photography for which crew and/or talent is paid. This includes non-profit and student productions.
- Magazine ads
- Motion pictures
- Clothing lookbooks
Commercial Photography requires outside permits that may take up to a week.
We welcome you to take informal candid vacation style photography for personal use without a fee. Photography outside the Arboretum on our front lawns is always free.
All guests to the Arboretum must follow our garden etiquette. In addition there are some specific rules while on the ground that must be followed. Please review our photo policies and rules.
Non-commercial: Visitors are required to get a photography permit if they come to the Arboretum to take posed photography, whether or not the photographer is paid.
Note: While there are lanterns on the grounds during our Moonlight Forest lantern art festival, if you prefer our classic garden settings consider:
- Celebration Garden
- Meyberg Waterfall
- Rose Garden
- Herb Garden
- Kallam Garden
- Tallac Knoll
The Arboretum offers two types of photography permits:
Camera Ready Photo Shoot (formerly known as Walk-in Photo Sessions): Everyone is dressed and ready to take photos as soon as you enter the grounds.
- No clothing changes, make-up, or hair styling
- Walking only
- Hours are limited to our general open hours
- Permits sold from 9am-3:30pm at the front desk
- Between Oct, 26-Jan. 6 permits are available from 9am-2:30pm at the front desk.
- Groups of 15 or more must make an appointment and may need a monitor (contact Candace.firstname.lastname@example.org).
- $50 + Admission (link to agreement)
- $200 Security deposit if more than 5 people (Security deposit will be refunded after evaluation by staff members within a week after the photography session.)
- Permits are valid for one day and one seating per photographer
- Additional seatings are available at a discount with prior reservations
Assisted Photo Shoot (formerly known as Transportation Photo Sessions): Allows for one golf cart driven by an Arboretum employee and/ or other transportation vehicle (with proper insurance) to drive visitors around the grounds with reservations.
- Hours: sunrise to sunset
- Reservations required (contact Candace.email@example.com)
- Must be booked at least 48 hours in advance
- Includes location permit, admission, and no security deposit is required
- 1-10 people $300
- 11-20 people $400
- 21-30 people $500
At this point in time, we cannot allow for any models, clothing changes, makeup or hair to be done on the property. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Student filming projects are permitted however standard fees and restrictions apply. No discounts are available. For additional information call Nadia Balaz at 626-821-3204.
Commercial Filming and Photography and site rental are available with a reserved permit only. Please contact Nadia Balaz at 626-821-3204 for more information.
The Arboretum reserves the right to refuse admittance for photography/videography and/or change its photo policy without advanced notice.
The Arboretum reserves the right to all photography site locations at any given time with or without notice. Some sites may not be available the day of your reservation due to unforeseen circumstances.
Please note that any party that has booked private events in a particular location has an exclusive right to that reserved area. Please contact Candace Wanzo at 626-821-3244 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.